Be sure to add filler pieces on the fold-down top and leg to give solid purchase for the leg bracket screws. Then sand the filler pieces smooth and flush with the outer panels. If you cannot afford a plasterer to skim the walls, but still want them to look pretty, wallpaper could be the way to add some colour and texture to your cloffice. If you’re not keen on rewiring the inside of the closet, puck lights would be a good option. Feel free to use this simple DIY checklist as guidance to design a WFH closet office tailored to your taste. If you have the extra room, it can be nice to build a bench for additional seating beside your desk.
- There’s a reason why monsters are closets’ number one resident.
- We love the look of this pink ombre closet-turned-office, and the best part is all it takes is a few cans of paint.
- It reflects light better, adding to the brightness of the room, and makes the space look bigger.
- If it’s drywall, attach floating shelves to wall studs — this will provide a solid foundation for your project.
- The side brace pieces should be 4-6 inches shorter than the side wall.
This free standing wardrobe/closet/desk combination piece is designed with computer station right inside the closet. The ultimate home office is created by our addition of multiple forms storage above and around the center of the unit. Excellent design, completed on time, will use their services again. We had two master bedroom closets and a home office closets. It serves as a catchall for your supplies and inspo photos, without taking up valuable surface real estate in your tiny office. Creative paint jobs aren’t reserved for full-sized rooms only—you can just as enthusiastically infuse tons of much-needed style into a tiny closet office. We love the look of this pink ombre closet-turned-office, and the best part is all it takes is a few cans of paint.
Cheap & Easy DIY Printed Seasonal Pillows
If you want the thicker look of a butcher block countertop, another option is to use a nail gun or brad nailer to attach a 1 x 2” endcap. Now that you’ve taken inventory of your available closet space and have a plan, it’s time to get your materials. Why not try a tulip table in lieu of a traditional desk? Blogger Aly McDaniel did just that, making her workspace the literal center of her expansive walk-in closet.
- Wood stain I used natural wood stain which consists of steel wool soaked in vinegar and black tea.
- I also love that I have walls on either side of my desk.
- Hang wallpaper in a print that inspires you, and create a style that feels totally you.
- But you could easily run a power strip into the back, by cutting a hole big enough for the plug to run through.
Add in a chic desk lamp, and you’ll make the space warm and inviting. Plywood boards are notorious for having some cosmetic damage so take a look at the surface looking for any dents or scratches. You will convert closet to office want to fill those with wood filler so the top of your DIY floating desk is perfectly smooth. If you don’t have a lot of studs to drill directly into, you can use drywall anchors in addition like I did.
Real Shared Home Office Layouts That Are Both Functional and Stylish
Dry fit the plywood to make sure it fits in your closet (this is why I don’t paint the walls before installing the desk, it can scrape up the walls). A patterned wall can be a little intense, but in a closet desk area, it adds the right amount of chic without taking over the whole room. I created a stencil that looks like the patterned tiles that are popping up all over home designs these days. Take two small pieces of wood , which have at least one flat surface and are at least 1.25” tall . I painted these white to match my shelf, and drilled a hole through them which is about as thick as a PAX hole. Enlist different types of storage to organize paperwork, office supplies, and other essentials. Use desktop organizers to corral writing utensils, scissors, staplers, notebooks, and more on top of the workstation, or slide a set of drawers underneath for easy-access storage.
Welling made use of the closet’s existing shelf system and now uses it to store work supplies. You may need to install your desktop first if the upper shelves will prevent you from getting the desktop into place. Because I may want to restore this closet to its original configuration someday, I didn’t use adhesive. Trim screws at each alcove end and one in the center are all I needed to secure everything in place. Before I cut that notch, I double-checked to be sure this 2×6 framing wasn’t a structural piece, like the bottom chord of a truss or a floor joist.
How To Build A Desk In A Closet
Keep in mind that the average desk height is between 28 and 30 inches, and be sure to screw the surface into wall studs for added support. The closet office (or “cloffice,” as it’s commonly called), can take a couple of forms. In some cases, individuals have chosen to repurpose unused closets in their homes and turn them into mini workspaces. In other instances, we see walk-in closets that serve as multipurpose spaces in which to display clothing and accessories and incorporate a desk setup. No matter which kind of cloffice most speaks to you and your lifestyle, you can’t go wrong implementing one in your own space.
- Learn how to build a desk in a closet for the perfect small space solution and it’s budget-friendly.
- Check the images here and see if you like to replicate one or two in your home.
- We are nearly all engaged in a never-ending fight to fit more and more stuff into very little space.
- You’ve heard the phrase, “a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind,” and this especially rings true in tighter spaces.
- Warm medium wood tones wrap the interior space behind the white closet doors exudes power.